Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Christmas cards...

So it's that joyous time of year when we get all the beautiful Christmas cards. I love sending out these cards. I always try to get some with a really good message. Not just "happy holidays" and "seasons greetings" but you know about the birth of Jesus and all. Last year we did a Christmas letter like many people do. I was gonna do one this year but realized nothing worthwhile had happened in our life in the last year. So we decided to do the photo card this year. Unfortunately we are one of those sad couples who gets our pic taken with our dog. We treat him like a baby so might as well go all out. I thought the photo card was great. The receipent gets a pic of us and it will go on the fridge instead of the trash like a normal card. And we even got to put a good bible verse on it.

Well, after receiving many of these photo cards this year I have decided I hate them. With each new card I am reminded that I am infertile. Pictures of happy families with a mommy, daddy and some kids. I got three of said cards in the mail today. All of them from people my own age. Kids I went to high school with. All happy and smiling and holding their children. These beautiful pictures leave me feeling empty and sad. What will my Christmas card next year be like? Will it be a pic of me, josh and two dogs, because we will get another dog to fill the void that is still there?

Oh I hope 2008 will be a better year.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am sorry Rian. I really am. I am finding my own hate for Christmas letters. One I got the other day talked about all the babies born into the family and what "miracles of the Lord" and "gifts from God" they are. It kind of made me want to jump up and down, stomp my feet and scream "WHERE'S MY MIRACLE? WHERE'S MY GIFT?" Thinking of you during this hard time...I hope 2008 brings you hope and joy.

Sunny said...

I HATE Christmas cards now and the pictures too. In fact I think I am having a card burning night. Wine, cards and a fire. I used to put all the picture/cards on my fridge. NO MORE! I am taking my fridge back. HA!

HUGS!

Jennjilla said...

It will be!!! Don't get any more dogs, trust me...the fewer you have when you have a kiddo (Which you will!), the better. We have 2, and both of them are ANNOYING.

And at least you got your Christmas cards out...mine are still sitting in my car to go to the post office.

Maybe they will make it out before Groundhog's Day.

Kathy V said...

My Christmas card is one with a bible verse on the front. I go as far as to sign our names and stamp my dog prints on the inside. My dogs are part of the family and because we don't have children I want them to be included. I took pictures of them and included them in the cards for very close friends and relatives. My furry children are all we have right now and when we have real children the furry ones will still be included in the card. Although I do agree about the letter. It seemed as though ours would be filled with more heartache than joy this year so we didn't do one. Although my parents did and it reminds you even more when they include three paragraphs about my new niece and about three sentences about me and my husband. It kind of rubs salt in a wound but I didn't really want my business broadcasted to my parents friends either. I guess it is just us infertiles that think about how these things are received. Also, I hang all my cards up (non-picture ones included) on the closet doors. It reminds me how many people care even if they unknowingly send a picture that rubs salt in an open wound. Merry Christmas from my family to yours.

Mel said...

I am right there with you.
We are also the sad couple with the dog in our card photo. :(
*hugs*

Anonymous said...

2008 IS going to be a better year....I can just feel it!

Your christmas card pic will be absolutely gorgeous (cause YOU KNOW WHO will take it! wink wink) WITH lots of love and happiness radiating from the pic.

Can I come to the card burning night?!! I've got a few myself that seem to be invading my fridge!

Janna said...

I know what you mean! It seems everyone is doing the picture card thing, but most of my friends just have their kids on them. That really stings!!!

Thinking of you during this difficult holiday season. And hoping that 08's card will have you holding a little one in your arms!!!

Merry Christmas!!!