Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Soapbox...

I know I have mentioned in little snipets my views on vaccinations. But this is going to be a full blown post about it. I'm just warning you ahead of time. So for those of you that think I am crazy (you know who you are!) you can just move along. Or you can stick around and maybe learn something!!! :)

Disclaimer: I am in no way saying that if you vaccinate your child you are a bad parent. Please remember this is MY blog and these are MY views!

For those of you who do not know I work for a dr that treats Autism. I see it everyday. I hear the stories that the mothers tell. From all that I have seen, heard, read and study I have concluded that vaccines play a role in the rise of Autism. I am in no way saying they are the "cause" of Autism. The cause is multifaceted, but vaccines play a very large role.

The dr and the nurse just got back from an AutismOne conference in Chicago. It's amazing the stories they come back and tell. There were tons of speakers there. Some were doctors, some were Phd's and some were parents.

There was a dr named Mayer Eisenstein. He is a family practice dr. His philosophy is to deliver babies at home, do not use antibiotics unless extremely necessary and no vaccines. The group he is a part of has 35000 patients and not a single one has autism. How is that possible when the rate is 1 in 150??? You can't deny that what he is doing is working. He has a book called Don't Vaccinate Before You Educate. I am currently reading it and find it very interesting.

Did you know that the Rubella, Hep A and Chicken pox vaccines are grown on the tissue of an aborted fetus? I bet ya didn't and I also bet that has some religious complications for some of you. I know it does for me.

I find it very interesting that they want to give an infant Hep B right after it pops out. Why does an infant need Hep B if the mother is not a carrier? So I looked it up and this is what I found. Possible forms of transmission include (but are not limited to) unprotected sexual contact, blood transfusions, re-use of contaminated needles & syringes, and vertical transmission from mother to child during childbirth. The conclusion I draw from this is that the medical industry is trying to cover their butts in case there is an accident. If they give my child the Hep B vaccine and then they accidentally reuse a needle on him it should all be ok.

Another problem I have with vaccines is that they give so many at one time. Why does a 6 wk old baby need to have 5 different injections? Is their immune system really ready to process what is in the vaccine...live viruses, mercury, aluminum, formaldehyde, antifreeze, phenol? It seems to me that might be a bit overloading. And if a child has to be fully vaccinated to start school why are so many given before the age of 2. They don't start school until 4 or 5 so why can't we spread them out a little?

If you asked my husband he would tell you that I am a conspiracy theorist. And it is true. I believe that the government, the pharmaceutical companies and the FDA are all in bed together. And the real issue here is the bottom line. If any of those three institutions came forward and said vaccines may play a role in Autism, billions and billions of dollars would be lost. The new issue of Time Magazine has an article about vaccines in it. Of course it is pro vaccinate and it actually uses some scare tactics. The one thing that stuck out to me was when they pointed out that parents choosing not to vaccinate are choosing the good of the child over the good of society. I say the government, the FDA and the pharmaceutical companies are choosing the good of their pocket books over the good of society.

Now go forth and comment. I'm interested to know what everyone else thinks. But lets keep it nice, remember we are all entitled to our OPINION!!

14 comments:

A'Dell said...

What I can't figure out is what makes today's vaccines so much scarier than the ones I received as a kid.

And what's up with Hep B to infants? I see that the CDC immunization schedule says:

If mother is HBsAg negative, the birth dose can be delayed, in rare cases, with a provider’s order and a copy of the mother’s negative HBsAg laboratory report in the infant’s medical record.

I have to have a provider's order?! Certainly not giving consent would be enough - but this chart doesn't even give that OPTION.

I agree, it's so frustrating. The more I read about healthcare the more ridiculous and CYA is gets. So many unnecessary things, just to avoid a lawsuit. Ugh.

Jennjilla said...

I have to vaccinate, since I have my son in daycare.

I do, however, spread out his shots so he does not receive 6 shots in one visit. I find that to be really excessive, plus he becomes very cranky and usually feverish.

I did not know that those vaccines were made on an aborted fetus, about gagged when reading that. I am very anti abortion anyway (hello, I'm adopted - thank GOD they didn't do that to me!) so I really cringed when I read that.

I'lll leave it at that I do what I have to do, and sometimes do what I'm told since I don't research all that I should. Maybe this is the eye opener I need to read up on this subject a little bit more...

Anonymous said...

I love soap boxes, especially ones on vaccinations! Three cheers!
My son has had some shots, but after doing more of my own research, I've decided enough! Thankfully we didn't get as far as the MMR and the chicken pox one and the Hep B, I agree, ridiculous that they give it to the child when they pop out!
My conspiracy theory is that even if they know there is a link, they will NEVER tell because they'll A. get themselves sued so much they won't have two pennies to rub togther, B. no one will vaccinate ever (which things like tetnus when you get stuck with a nail is a good idea...).
You should read whale.com many conspiracy theories that I can't always disagree with.
Again, good for you sharing your opinions, it'll get others thinking.

Kathy V said...

I guess I never really thought about whether to vaccinate or not vaccinate. I guess I should do some more research before I decide one way or the other. Thanks for the info that will help educate us to make better decisions about it.

Josh said...

"What I can't figure out is what makes today's vaccines so much scarier than the ones I received as a kid."

What makes it different is the frequency and volume that is prescribed now. When we were kids, we didn't get chickenpox, HPV, HepB, etc. And you only got one shot every 4-6 months. Now, some doctors will give 6 COMBINATION shots in one dose, and they want to have all your vaccinations in by the age of 2. The accelerated push is believed by many to increase the risk to the children, as their systems may not handle that much at once.

My position is that I don't believe all immunizations to be bad, but I wouldn't allow any before 18 months, and even then, only the ones that seem like legitimate concerns (like tetanus, etc). MMR, Cpox, etc I don't believe are critical, as reported cases are very rarely fatal anymore, our medical science can cure an outbreak with ease and minimal discomfort.

Anonymous said...

what can we do to limit the amount of vaccines they are given at such a young age? They make it seem black and white. at this age come in they need 3 shots, at this age 2 and so on, they don't tell you that you can change anything or wait. So how do you approach it? I'm up for any suggestions having has a sister and SIL who both worked with autistic children and knowing what a hard long road that is for them let alone a parent.

I hate the pharm companies and the government, I'm with you, it's a scam to keep their wallets fat.

Mazzy said...

This is scary and very foreign to me since I haven't gotten to a place where I have to really think about this yet.
I agree with you, that it is worth investigating and considering for sure. I think pharmaceutical companies are so screwed up. I know my RE has several theories behind failed IVFs and pharmaceuticals... he thinks that they push pure FSH because it produces more eggs, which in turn causes more embryonic genetic mutatations and failures...
Thank you for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Wow that is very interesting. I think you have a great ability to another perspective due to your job.

I agree and we don't vaccinate my daughter.

Ms. J said...

My husband has decided (I leave the medical stuff to him since he is in it) that Lil' Pumpkin will not get all of the vaccines, as he sees 1 or 2 of them as ridiculous and BS, and C.Y.A. as you mentioned. He also has serious concerns about how (this applies more with newborn-on vaccinations) that some of them are given all at once. His theory on why this is done is because doctors/CDC are concerned that parents won't bring their child back for the successive shots and so they give them all at once. He also insists we do the preservative-free route.

My F-I-L, a prominent anaesthesiologist (sp?) believes that decades from now we will find something in our food supply, such as the drastic increase in perservatives, will have contributed to the extreme rise in autism in industrial/"advanced" nations. It seems like autism sure is more pronounced in USA, and increasingly parts of Europe and Australia. Ya don't hear about it in Asia so much, or less-develpoed nations, but maybe that has something to do with diagnostics, I don't know.

I don't advise people one way or the other. We had friends from his chiro school who did NADA vaccines with their kids, which we were NOT comfortable with. But rushing them, all at once, and the ones with the perservatives we get a bit concerned about.

BTW, for reference's sake, we are not granola-crunchy types (no problem if you or anyone else is), just saying that opinions on vaccines runs the gamut I think.

Good topic :o)

Sharee said...

I am definitely anti-vaccination. Our son got his newborn and 2 and 4month shots, but hasn't had anymore since I read this book called "The Vaccine Guide: Risks and Benefits for Children and Adults" by Randall Neustaedter. After reading that, I started doing whatever I could to make my life less toxic by converting to all natural products ... everything from cleaning supplies and food to lotion and pet supplies. I have a big problem with how big businesses and their lobbyists run our government (from flouride in the water, pasteurization of our milk, pesticides and hormones in our food, and drug therapies ... it's all about the dollar, ya'll!). We have to look out for ourselves, because due to the way our government is set up they look out for those with the loudest voices. Unfortunately the biggest mouths belong to the big businesses ... research, research, research ... study to show thyself approved!

http://www.fluoridealert.org/
http://www.realmilk.com/why.htmlhttp://www.organicconsumers.org/

Sharee said...

Oh, and Jennjilla - it is illegal to force anyone to vaccinate. That means public/private schools, daycares and even the military cannot deny a person entry because they refuse vaccination. There are loopholes, but there are also appropriate ways to access those back doors. Check out the book I mention in my post if it is something you wish to pursue.

Anonymous said...

The Sears library has a good book called The Vaccine Book that answers a lot of questions and clears up a lot of confusion. I highly recommend it.

fragilemom said...

I agree that shooting the poor little immune systems up with so much at once and starting at such a young age is ridiculous. I'm glad to say we found a pediatrician (after leaving the first) that will allow me to choose the schedule I want. The nurses aren't too hip on it...they get no sympathy from me.

Lately, I've found out that there is a shortage of one of the vaccines (can't remember which), and guess what, they've now changed the schedule of when that vaccine should be given....how convenient.

We read, "What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Children's Vaccinations" by Stephanie Cave, MD, and decided to go on a revised schedule....similar to her revised schedule, but only giving the vaccines we think they should have.

After our oldest, 4, (you know him well) was diagnosed with Fragile X (when he was 18 months), we stopped all vaccinations. We actually had reason to be concerned dumped in our laps. We've since given him the ones we want him to have. We didn't start our daughter until 2 years. Our youngest just turned 1, and we don't plan on starting him until later either.

As far as schools/daycares/etc. there are definitely loop holes. We simply listed ours as "our revised schedule" and haven't had any problems. That's one in pre-k program at a public school and one in a non-public pre-k program.

There's a lot of info. out there, and it should all be used with wisdom.

Thanks for sharing, Rian! Loved reading the comments.

Jenny G said...

Rian,
I second the Dr. Sear Vaccine Book. We got it before deciding on how to handle Tyler's vaccination schedule. So far, we haven't eliminated any vaccines, but we have them done on a spread out schedule (usually he'll get 1-2 at his check up and we go back in 2 weeks for another one/set and/or make him get them at the next wellbaby check-up). I was shocked to find out that he'd be getting them based on his birth age and not his adjusted age. I can't imagine a preemie getting all these shots before his body is even at the age that other term babies get them. Anyway, this topic is so scary to me. My nephew is autistic and each day I see him I wish I could know whether shots had to do with them...