Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Sparkles

We have a new family member...her name is Sparki, but we affectionately call her Sparkles, unfortunately she can't hear us say it...she is deaf, but we love her bunches anyways.  Let me start at the beginning.

My friend Mindy had a dog adopt her family.  Shortly after she disappeared.  A few days later they found he under their shed with 4 mini dogs.  She had had some puppies, Mindy didn't even know she was pregnant.  Mindy posted pictures of these new, precious pups and I instantly fell in love.  They were so cute and they were Australian Shepherds, a breed Josh and I had always wanted.  When they were a month and half old Kai and I went for a visit...that's when I picked Sparki.  She was just so freakin cute.  I instantly knew she was the one for our family.  A few weeks later we brought her home and it has been bliss ever since...ok not necessarily bliss, but it's been pretty good.  A puppy is hard work.  What makes it even harder is realizing that your puppy can't hear what you are saying to her.

While lying in bed one night I started thinking it was weird that she hadn't figured out her name yet.  She didn't respond to us when we called her.  We also thought it was odd that she slept through everything.  When we would come home Chip always met us at the door while she peacefully slept in her crate.  We put 2 and 2 together and did a few tests and it was confirmed.  Our adorable little Sparki was deaf and possibly a little blind too.  She has one blue eye and one blue and brown eye and apparently those dogs are more prone to deafness and blindness.  So now the last 2 months of training are out the window because she has no idea what we are saying.  Potty training isn't a complete wash.  I've learned her cues so as long as I'm paying attention to her she goes outside.  But if she tells me she needs to go and I don't listen then my carpet is free range for her.  So glad Josh bought me a little green machine for mother's day!!

Ok enough babbling, I know you really want to see pictures of her so here you go.  She is precious and we love her bunches.  She is a member of this family and she fits in great...she's crazy!!








Doesn't that face just melt your heart?!?!?

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Sparkles rocks! Copper doesn't share that opinion though.

fragilemom said...

What a cutie!